Tips for taking part in National Walking month
As May is national walking month and here are some ways that you can take part despite the lockdown.
- Go out for a walk with the members of your household.
- Try a walking phone meeting with your friend and family.
- Try to find some greenery while you are out such as a park, tree lined streets or nature spot and listen out for the bird song and see if you can spot any other wildlife.
- Go for a walk before or after you work
- Take photos of things that you see whilst out walking such as blossom in the trees, ducks on the local lake, flowers, etc.
- If you are shielding or unable to go out find ways to do exercise at home. There are lots of online resources such as https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/for-your-body/move-more/home-workout-videos/
to help with this.
- Walk to the local shops instead of driving to the out of town supermarket.
- Enjoy a scavenger hunt with your children – e.g. counting how many rainbows you see in people’s windows, how many ladybirds etc.
- Go on walking adventure and perhaps walk somewhere locally you have never been before and see what you find.
- If you have children let them lead the way and decide where you go.
- Share the highlights of you walk with your friends and family on social media
For more hints, tips, resources and ideas for taking part in national walking month visit https://www.livingstreets.org.uk/get-involved/campaign-with-us/national-walking-month-2020 . Why not share what you have been up to on social media using the hashtag #TRY20.