6 tips to increase your happiness
By Lucy Calnan
Happiness has an important role to play in our lives as the happier we are the better we feel about ourselves. With this in mind here are 6 easy tips that you can follow:
- Ensure that you take time to reduce your stress levels, whether this is through taking time for yourself, engaging in regular exercise, socialising with friends and family, etc. See our blog on 10 stress busting tips for more ideas.
- Make time to do things that enjoy such as socialising with friends, having a soak in a hot bath, enjoying a spa break, watching tv, going to the cinema. However, you should try to avoid activities that give you short term relief but may make you feel worse afterwards such as drinking too much alcohol or eating junk food.
- Boost your self-esteem by thinking positively and stop putting yourself down by e.g. thinking you’re not good enough or you’ll never get that job you applied for. Instead tell yourself that you are good enough and you will succeed.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle where you limit your alcohol intake, opt for a well-balanced diet, ensure that you do regular exercise and get enough sleep. All of these can help you lead a much happier life.
- Don’t bottle things up but instead talk to someone you trust whether it’s a friend, family member, counsellor or health professional. Talking can help to relieve tension and find solutions to problems that you are facing.
- Attempt to build up your resilience so that you can cope with the ups and downs that life throws at you. Try to make something positive out of the painful times e.g. making some creative from bad experiences, starting a support group, etc.
Have you got any other tips that you use to increase your happiness? If so, why not share them in the comments below so that we can all benefit from them.